For most outdoor weddings, the tent is often the focal point of the reception. When done properly, a tent can transform any space into an elegant, sophisticated, and glamorous wedding fairytale land. If a tent is going to be a part of your wedding, then choosing the right type of tent is the first step. There are numerous types of tents that come in all shapes and sizes, and depending on the style, guest count, environment, and weather will determine the best type of tent for your wedding.
Your wedding planner will be able to help you sort through all the options and styles to find that fits your wedding theme. But, first, getting knowledgeable on the basics of tent weddings is a good place to start. Here at Walter Knoll Florist, we’re giving you a few essential styles and decor details to think about before your choosing your tent preference.
Wedding Tents 101
If you’re having a tented wedding event, there are many things to consider:
- Seasonality – A tent with a clear or open roof in the middle of summer won’t keep your guests cool or your flowers fresh. An open-air tent in winter will also be a challenge in keeping guests warm.
- Flooring – Many wedding planners consider flooring an essential part of a tented event, but many clients opt to exclude flooring to cut costs. If it rains, you’re covered in a tent, but without flooring, the ground will become very messy and muddy which nobody wants as a part of an elegant affair.
- Tents Set the Mood – Besides selecting a floor, there are other items you need to decide on when building a tented area, such as walls, lighting, tabletops, flowers, tent material, and style. All of these elements go into having the tent define the space and create a mood within that matches your style of wedding, whether it’s romantic, bohemian, classic, or glamorous.
- Building from Scratch – A tent allows you to create any type of world or setting you can imagine as opposed to working within a rented space with preexisting architecture and design elements. No need to compete with loud carpet patterns or odd-colored walls; with a tent, walls, lighting fixtures, flooring, and the entire space within open up a world where your imagination can fly. You can add hanging chandeliers, hanging flowers, include walls, windows, doors, soft seating areas, a bar, and so much more.
- Season, Time, and Environment – There’s a tent type for any occasion. Spring weddings do well with clear top or opaque top tents. If the tent is located in an area with breathtaking views, then choose a tent style so everyone can take it in. Clear tents are perfect for night weddings to see the night sky, but not appropriate for hot summer days. Sailcloth tents are light, airy, and breezy which are perfect for spring but too cool for winter. Make sure the tent fits well with the place, season, and design theme to create a memorable wedding.
Wedding Tent Design Tips:
- Integrate Soft Draping
- Cover Tent poles with lush greenery
- Use hanging floral installations to draw the eye upwards
- Create comfortable seating areas near the dance floors
- Use flowers to craft an exciting and bold entry
- Bring the outdoors in with plenty of lush greenery
- Hang chandeliers, pendants, or overhead installations for an extra dose of glamour
- Don’t neglect the exterior of the tent – add elements that also make it beautiful
- Reserve a space for the band or DJ
- Make sure there is plenty of soft lighting for events that go late into the evening
From florals to your wedding or for any time you need beautiful flowers in your life, contact Walter Knoll Florist, visit us in person, or peruse our online selection of gorgeous florals.